GPUGRID

Bird-Dog
Chaotic Member

GPUGRID

Post by Bird-Dog » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:27 am

I just finished the second one of these wu`s. The first estimated time was 13hrs, finished in just
under 16hrs. The second estimated 167hrs, finished in 11.5hrs. Wu`s are different size`s (3 I think).
Credits are fixed for each size wu. the 2 I`ve done so far average around 170 cr/hr. The better GPU you
have the faster they will run, looking at other people times some are under 1hr. There is a 4 day deadline
so slower GPU`s won`t finish in time. I have no idea about GPU`s so if you are thinking of joining have a
look at your GPU and read some of the threads in the forum. The GPU wu runs in high priority along side
other wu`s so I`m able to run 5 wu`s (quad) at a time 1 GPU plus 4 others, 6 counting free-hal when I can get them.
[img]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m112/Bird-Dog-1/spitfire2.png[/img]

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:38 am

31 Jan 2009 AEST:

New applications for Windows and Linux released. CPU usage is now close to zero, so that you can keep crunching other CPU projects as before while also using the GPUs in your machine.
This signature comment has been censored by the ACMA as being politically inconvenient.

No Australian Government Internet Filter

Image Image

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:10 am

Just noticed on the GPU Grid message boards that they have given a credit incentive. If you finish and return a WU within 24 hours of receiving it, you get an additional 50% credits.

They say 50%, but I have noticed it is more like double.

So, keep a very small cache, and abort any WUs that haven't started that you are certain won't be returned within 24 hours and get a fresh WU. :smt023
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

If You're Not Outraged, You're Not Paying Attention

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:07 pm

04 Apr 2009 AEST:

We have just submitted a new batch of workunits which improve further the accuracy of the free energy calculations.
This signature comment has been censored by the ACMA as being politically inconvenient.

Image Image

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:26 pm

Gavin Shaw wrote:04 Apr 2009 AEST:

We have just submitted a new batch of workunits which improve further the accuracy of the free energy calculations.
And, from deep inside their forums:
Next week,
we will do an application update, bringing the credits multiplier from 1.5 to 2.0 (closer to seti 2.4xflops). Still adding 20-30% more for who returns them within two days. This should simplify your life, but keep a positive incentive for quick returns.

gdf
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:45 pm

From the BOINCStats Shoutbox:
GPUGrid poss. down till Tuesday...power cut, server down...(from B^S website...)
Last edited by Labbie on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bird-Dog
Chaotic Member

Post by Bird-Dog » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:53 pm

Thanks for that Labbie, I was wondering what happened. I`ve got one running and one spare which I was going to abort but kept because the project was down. Might as well crunch it and settle for less credit, hope they validate when things come back on-line.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:29 pm

I have no spares with just one trying to upload.

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:07 am

12 Apr 2009 AEST:

Da GPUGRID vogliamo esprimere la nostra piu' sincera partecipazione a questo triste giorno di lutto nazionale in Italia per le vittime del terremoto. GDF. (http://www.repubblica.it)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone want to try and translate...

Image Image

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:12 am

Gavin Shaw wrote:12 Apr 2009 AEST:

Da GPUGRID vogliamo esprimere la nostra piu' sincera partecipazione a questo triste giorno di lutto nazionale in Italia per le vittime del terremoto. GDF. (http://www.repubblica.it)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone want to try and translate...
From GPUGRID we want to express ours piu' sincere participation to this sad day of national mourning in Italy for the victims of the earthquake. GDF. (http://www.repubblica.it)

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:27 am

14 Apr 2009 AEST:

We suffered a network failure during these Easter holidays that couldn't be fixed until today. We are getting back to normality now. Thanks for your patience.

Image Image

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:10 pm

YAY!!!! :smt038 :smt026 :smt038

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:58 pm

I just noticed that there is a new option in the Computing Tasks for suspending GPU work if the user is active. It says it is only enforced by BOINC 6.7.x and above, but I'm using 6.6.16 and it is affecting this version.

So if your GPUGrid tasks always seem to say "Waiting to run" when you're using the PC, you may want to check this setting.

Dark Angel
Calm Chaos Militia Commander

Post by Dark Angel » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:23 am

Labbie wrote:I just noticed that there is a new option in the Computing Tasks for suspending GPU work if the user is active. It says it is only enforced by BOINC 6.7.x and above, but I'm using 6.6.16 and it is affecting this version.

So if your GPUGrid tasks always seem to say "Waiting to run" when you're using the PC, you may want to check this setting.
Good call Labbie...thanks for sharing :smt023
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

"As I walk throught the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear,
because I'm the meanest M***** F***** in the whole valley."
-Gen. George S. Patton

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:53 am

25 Apr 2009 AEST:

So we are submitting new WUs corresponding to a brand new experiment. We are starting to investigate the structural and dynamical properties of HIV viral proteins in order to help understand how at a molecular level, the virus becomes infectious. We will soon update the science section for it.

Image Image

Chris S
Collected Member

Post by Chris S » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:10 pm

Ooooh looks interesting. I see the turnround has gone from 3 to 5 days, and sone of the workunits are now twice the size. :smt017

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:17 pm

Yeah, I've been reading about the extra large WUs, but I haven't run across any of them yet. The WUs I've been running did increase by maybe an hour, but still finish in about 13.5 hours.

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Fri May 08, 2009 1:16 am

8 May 2009 AEST:

GPUGRID is now accepting donations from users who want to contribute further. We do accept either hardware or monetary donations. Monetary donations have a minimum of 1 Euro and can be done using a Credit/Debit card or via Bank Transfer. Many thanks to all of you considering a donation.

Image Image

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Wed May 13, 2009 1:44 pm

13 May 2009 AEST:

The GPUGRID project is featured in "Science wikinomics", a paper in the latest EMBO (European Molecular Biology Organization) Reports, which discusses the philosophy of distributed scientific computing in the "wiki" scientific workplace. http://www.nature.com/embor/journal/v10 ... 00979.html

Image Image

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Sat May 23, 2009 1:53 am

23 May 2009 AEST:

We've recently sent hundreds of new batches of workunits. There's a long queue of them waiting to be downloaded. Come and get yours!

Image Image

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sat May 23, 2009 3:56 am

Gavin Shaw wrote:23 May 2009 AEST:

We've recently sent hundreds of new batches of workunits. There's a long queue of them waiting to be downloaded. Come and get yours!
I wonder if these are meant to replace all the bad WUs they sent out over the last couple of weeks?

Bird-Dog
Chaotic Member

Post by Bird-Dog » Sat May 23, 2009 7:06 am

It was the GIANNI wu`s I had problems with a few days ago, no problems with any other type. If I get any those type without NEWGIANNI in the name I abort them.

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Sat May 23, 2009 11:10 am

The last four WUs I downloaded I had to abort because they were getting stuck. They were all different, GIANNI, IBUSCH_HIV, etc.

Then it was time to start the SETI Race. I'll give them a try again after the race is over.

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Wed May 27, 2009 1:50 am

27 May 2009 AEST:

GPUGRID participates to the VPH-NoE (www.vph-noe.eu), the EU-supported Network of Excellence for the Virtual Physiological Human. The VPH NoE initiative supports European research in biomedical modelling and simulation of the human body. It will improve our ability to predict, diagnose and treat disease, and have a dramatic impact on the future of healthcare. For more information check the VPH official site.

Image Image

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Fri May 29, 2009 1:17 am

29 May 2009 AEST:

We are glad to announce the publication of our application, ACEMD, in the Journal of Chemical Theory and Computation. For more information: Journal link and pdf.

Image Image

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:20 am

06 Jun 2009 AEST:

The VPH project, in which GPUGRID participates, has been in the news. 'The Times' reported today that the use of animal experiments could be replaced by research on "virtual human beings" and tests on banks of living cells within a generation, following a series of talks given at the Cheltenham Science Festival on June 4th 2009. More information here.

Image Image

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:22 am

16 Jun 2009 AEST:

We have +2,000 WU in queue to be crunched waiting for you guys! Actually, and that's for real, the publication on the SH2 system may be able to drop off finally after these results. Not only these, but Ignasi is defending his Masters thesis this Friday and would be delighted to show these results (properly credited of course). Many thanks in advance!

Image Image

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:08 am

20 Jun 2009 AEST:

We have updated to the latest server software. Also now the minimum required driver version is enforced to be at least 180.

Image Image

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:29 am

News from 21st Oct 2009:

The 5th Pani-Galactic BOINC Workshop will take place tomorrow and on Friday here in Barcelona and GPUGRID will be there. We will also be presenting a remote submission system that we use in the lab to safely interact with the server, to send/retrieve WUs from it. For more information check the wiki site http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/WorkShop09

Image Image

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Re: GPUGRID

Post by Gavin Shaw » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:08 am

29 Jan 2010:

Let us know if you encounter problems.
This was motivated by the latest "attack" and the precious time taken for fixing these annoyances.

Image Image

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:13 am

31 Jan 2010:

Account creation active again as usual.

Image Image

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:04 am

03 Feb 2010:

The new Nvidia application is now out in beta. It is available by accepting beta work from GPUGRID.

We have sent 1000 WUs for the new beta application.
Please note that they are actually production WUs already.

Image Image

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:00 am

04 Feb 2010:

Due to a spam attack, we have shut down temporarily the donations to GPUGRID.
We will inform you when they are open again.

Image Image

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:49 am

09 Feb 2010:

The donations system is up and running again.

Image Image

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:05 am

11 Feb 2010:

Along side the old application, we have uploaded the new faster application for Windows (6.01) and Linux (6.02). GDF.

Image Image

Return to “GPUGrid / PS3Grid”