Looking for forum search engine

Any problems you are having with the Calm Chaos Site. Post here.
debs3759
Collected Member

Looking for forum search engine

Post by debs3759 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:55 pm

I've been looking for how to search old posts, and can't find a search facility. I know it is available with phpBB as at least one other forum I use which uses phpBB has the facility, so wondered if I am just looking in the wrong places?

I already forgot what I was actually looking for, but if I know where to find the search facility, or if it can be added, it won't be a problem in the future. Needless to say, a couple of hours ago it was highly important that I find it, so important that I no longer remember the reason :)
Primary cruncher:

ASUS P5Q-Pro
E6750 (2 * 2.67GHz o/c to 3.52GHz)
4GB PC2-6400
1TB SATA

ImageImageImage

Dark Angel
Calm Chaos Militia Commander

Re: Looking for forum search engine

Post by Dark Angel » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:07 pm

debs3759 wrote:I've been looking for how to search old posts, and can't find a search facility. I know it is available with phpBB as at least one other forum I use which uses phpBB has the facility, so wondered if I am just looking in the wrong places?

I already forgot what I was actually looking for, but if I know where to find the search facility, or if it can be added, it won't be a problem in the future. Needless to say, a couple of hours ago it was highly important that I find it, so important that I no longer remember the reason :)
Debs to my knowledge we don't have one set up...I don't think Buga ever initiated it when revamping the site. I'll find out if it can be done easily...might be something on one of his back burners. (he has many of them)
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

"As I walk throught the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear,
because I'm the meanest M***** F***** in the whole valley."
-Gen. George S. Patton

Bird-Dog
Chaotic Member

Post by Bird-Dog » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:20 pm

debs3759 wrote:I've been looking for how to search old posts, and can't find a search facility. I know it is available with phpBB as at least one other forum I use which uses phpBB has the facility, so wondered if I am just looking in the wrong places?

If you click the Profile tab underneath your post it will take to your profile where there is a link to your post history, or anyone else`s you want to read if you click their profile tab.
[img]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m112/Bird-Dog-1/spitfire2.png[/img]

Sarge_II
Chaotic Member

Post by Sarge_II » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:31 pm

Bird-Dog wrote:

If you click the Profile tab underneath your post it will take to your profile where there is a link to your post history, or anyone else`s you want to read if you click their profile tab.
And that was the best on-site way to search the S@H forums. Their search engine was awful. If you wanted a true search engine, you had to go to Yahoo or Google, type you key words (or phrases perhaps with quotes around them) and end with @setiathome.berkeley.edu. Or something like that.

Bottom line: based on that experience, I would not expect much from phpBB coding in terms of searching within a phpBB forum.
Dark-no-no.

Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:59 pm

Sarge_II wrote:
Bird-Dog wrote:

And that was the best on-site way to search the S@H forums. Their search engine was awful. If you wanted a true search engine, you had to go to Yahoo or Google, type you key words (or phrases perhaps with quotes around them) and end with @setiathome.berkeley.edu. Or something like that.

Bottom line: based on that experience, I would not expect much from phpBB coding in terms of searching within a phpBB forum.
Well this isn't Seti and we don't cover as much stuff up so it's likely to be a better search return...either way I just heard from Buga and well since there are so many Bugas right now we're gonna spread the blame around...Rick says it will be back up soon...I told him not to stress and enjoy Christmas with his family...
[img]http://web.mac.com/jkellyphotography/CC_Signature/Media/flash-eyes.gif[/img][img]http://web.me.com/jkellyphotography/Site_2/Blank_13_files/big.2077123.jpg[/img]

-Gen. George S. Patton

Buga1
Calm Chaos Model Rocket Scientist

Post by Buga1 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:05 pm

Sorry bout that. Totally forgot to put it back in place. Fixed now. Either on User Box on home page or any page footer.

Rick

debs3759
Collected Member

Post by debs3759 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:28 am

Great, thanks Buga. Wasn't a major issue, but it is useful to have the feature :)
Primary cruncher:

ASUS P5Q-Pro
4GB PC2-6400
1TB SATA

ImageImageImage

Dune Finkleberry
Special Envoy To Goat Community

Post by Dune Finkleberry » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:50 am

debs3759 wrote:Great, thanks Buga. Wasn't a major issue, but it is useful to have the feature :)
Yeah. I was looking for it one day to no avail. Finally had to do the old-fashioned way.

With my eyes. :smt003

debs3759
Collected Member

Post by debs3759 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:28 am

I'd have had a lot of reading to do. The word I was looking for returned 0 (a big fat ZERO) hits on a search :)
Primary cruncher:

ASUS P5Q-Pro
4GB PC2-6400
1TB SATA

ImageImageImage

danielmid
Administrator of Anthill Assassinations

Post by danielmid » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:59 am

What are you looking for? We can help most likely.
ImageImage

Sarge_II
Chaotic Member

Post by Sarge_II » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:29 am

Don't search the following: Sarge, SETI (or S@H), blames, or Misfit.
Dark-no-no.

Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:33 am

Sarge_II wrote:Don't search the following: Sarge, SETI (or S@H), blames, or Misfit.
ya you may get a eye full

-Gen. George S. Patton

Sarge_II
Chaotic Member

Post by Sarge_II » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:37 am

Do search: Dark, Angel, loves, Pappa and SETI.U.S.A.
Dark-no-no.

debs3759
Collected Member

Post by debs3759 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:06 am

I searched to see how many posts mentioned the Think Tank for the Deranged, but "Deranged" returned zero hits :)
Primary cruncher:

ASUS P5Q-Pro
4GB PC2-6400
1TB SATA

ImageImageImage

Gavin Shaw
Chaotic Member

Post by Gavin Shaw » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:39 am

Think Tank for the Deranged is the online chat room.

I can't remember a post that mentions it specifically by name but rather just through the word 'chat'. I know there are post where someone has referred to a conversation in the chat room by saying something like 'last night in the chat room' or 'I was chatting to xxx'...
This signature comment has been censored by the ACMA as being politically inconvenient.

No Australian Government Internet Filter

Image Image

debs3759
Collected Member

Post by debs3759 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:06 am

I've been trying to find what time people are active in the chat room. Can't remember, and thought it would be possibler to find out by using a bit of initiative and effort, but it seems not :(

So...

What time are people in the chat room? Anyone there at a set time? A time that is not 4AM in England?

Primary cruncher:

ASUS P5Q-Pro
4GB PC2-6400
1TB SATA

ImageImageImage

Sarge_II
Chaotic Member

Post by Sarge_II » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:58 pm

debs3759 wrote:I've been trying to find what time people are active in the chat room. Can't remember, and thought it would be possibler to find out by using a bit of initiative and effort, but it seems not :(

So...

What time are people in the chat room? Anyone there at a set time? A time that is not 4AM in England?

May I suggest 5 a.m., English time? :)
Dark-no-no.

debs3759
Collected Member

Post by debs3759 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:16 pm

LOL, so THAT's where I keep going wrong. I've been going to bed an hour too early :)
Primary cruncher:

ASUS P5Q-Pro
4GB PC2-6400
1TB SATA

ImageImageImage

Sarge_II
Chaotic Member

Post by Sarge_II » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:20 pm

debs3759 wrote:LOL, so THAT's where I keep going wrong. I've been going to bed an hour too early :)
Uhhh, I hear some folks in England would be just waking up when we chat. (Not going to bed.)
Dark-no-no.

debs3759
Collected Member

Post by debs3759 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:25 pm

hehe, I heard that too. They also told me that 6 o'clock happens twice a day (and 7, 8, ...) :smt001
Primary cruncher:

ASUS P5Q-Pro
4GB PC2-6400
1TB SATA

ImageImageImage

danielmid
Administrator of Anthill Assassinations

Post by danielmid » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:12 pm

Random avatars are fun.
ImageImage

Sarge_II
Chaotic Member

Post by Sarge_II » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:11 pm

danielmid wrote:Random avatars are fun.
That's hilarious, Buga! :)
Dark-no-no.

Buga1
Calm Chaos Model Rocket Scientist

Post by Buga1 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:22 pm

Moved topic.

Depends on the day. Normally there are people on most nights (U.S.) anywhere from 7pm to 3 am CDT. On occasion mid day (U.S.). With a few of you all from across the pond.

Just depends really. With the holidays a little less time has been spent there for myself. But good to see you wanting to join in there.

Rick

Labbie
Calm Chaos Speedologist

Post by Labbie » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:12 pm

Search page broken?
You have reached a page in error. Either the page is no longer available, or has never been available.

You will be re-directed to the Calm Chaos Homepage automatically. Or click the banner.